7.14.2011

White Girls CAN Dance!

Let's get real here.

1. I'm white.
2. I was raised in a conservative home. (For which I'm thankful.)

3. I am a musician, therefore I
haveshould have rhythm.
4. I can keep a beat.
5. I'm white.


I know I looked a fool, but Monday night I went to my first Zumba class. I've heard rave reviews about it from quite a few people, and decided to try it out.

There were about 25 other women, 1 instructor, and an hour of sweating like I never knew imaginable, but I had a BLAST!

Zumba is a Latin-inspired dance fitness program that was created by a choreographer in Colombia in the 90's. I have no idea why it's taken over 20 years to get to America and become a craze, but at least it's here now!!

I was worried because I knew that Zumba was a mixture of dance and aerobics, and as I've already stated, I'm as white as they come. I have ZERO rhythm when it comes to moving my body to music. It just doesn't happen. But, a friend of mine that also goes to the class told me "There is no wrong way to Zumba," and she was right!

Half the time I was doing my own thing...completely off from the instructor, but it was so much fun, and I was MOVING (which is what counts).

Tonight will be the second class, and I'm so excited for work to be over so I can get my Zumba on! You should check with your local fitness facilities and community centers to see if they offer Zumba classes. It's hard to classify it as exercise because it's so much fun, but you will sweat like no tomorrow. And according to SparkPeople, I burned a little over 700 calories!!
-Jenn (With 2 N's)

No comments:

Post a Comment