12.23.2011

I Love Christmas


I love Christmas. I love the decorations, and putting up the tree, and how beautiful my house looks after my Daddy puts up all our lights. I love getting presents and spending time with family and the craziness that comes with all the cousins being under one roof. I love being with friends and celebrating our closeness and love for one another.

I love being in the kitchen baking and cooking with my family. Cookies, pies, savory sauces and delicious mashed potatoes. I love the smells that waft through the house that are so... Christmas. I love gathering around the table and taking time to thank God for his many blessings he so freely bestows upon us every year. I love the laughing and talking and passing plates to make sure everyone has gravy on their dressing.

I love church during Christmastime because we seem to have a renewed hope and peace. We seem to be stirred by the story of the virgin birth of Jesus, and by Mary's willingness to carry God himself in her womb. I love the songs we sing during Christmas about how the angels heralded His arrival, and how the shepherds and wise men traveled from afar to come see the Christ child.

I love the joy I feel when I see other people experiencing Christmas. My kid cousins opening their gifts and oohing and aahing over their new remote control cars and art sets and trains. I love the silliness of the dirty santa games as people swap treats with each other until everyone is satisfied.

But most of all at Christmastime, I love my God. For blessing me with His sweet spirit. He may not have been born on December 25th, but I don't mind taking that one day, this one season to give him honor and glory for wrapping himself in a precious, tiny package and giving the best gift any of us ever received. I enjoyed Christmas for many years, adored getting gifts and being with friends and family, but I truly love Christmas now that I have Jesus to celebrate with.

During this holiday season, let us not forget the real reason we celebrate. While we are hustling and bustling about, buying gifts, wrapping presents and baking holiday treats, don't forget to take a moment to thank the One who came so that we could have peace and hope and joy and love.

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and
wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger;
because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field,
keeping watch over their flock by night.

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord
shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you
good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David
a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe
wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude
of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Luke 2:7-14

Merry Christmas to you and yours. I pray God richly blesses you this holiday and that you spend the time celebrating with the ones you love the most.

-Jenn (WIth 2 N's)

No comments:

Post a Comment