2.19.2010

Yummy Chicken Goodness

Me and my new Friday off are loving each other. So much so that I made lunch. Really yummy lunch (if I do say so myself).



I haven't decided on a proper name for it yet, since I just threw it together with what was in the fridge/cabinet. Leave a comment with a name and I'll pick the one I like the best.

Want the recipe? I'm sure you do.

Yummy stuff you will need:
1 1/4 cups elbow macaroni
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken stock (start with a 1/4 and add more if you want it to be creamier)
1 large can of chicken
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pat of butter
1 heaping tablespoon sour cream

How you make it taste yummy:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook macaroni. (I use coarse kosher salt for the pasta water because I like the flavor it brings out.) Meanwhile, mix soup, stock, chicken, butter and sour cream in a pan over medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste. (I love garlic, so I added some garlic powder as well.) Stir in the cheeses once the mixture has heated through. Drain macaroni, and stir into your chicken mixture. Bake in a 9x3 glass loaf pan for about 30 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned. Enjoy!

I didn't feel like thawing chicken breasts, but you could definitely substitute one or two chicken breasts for the can of chicken. Depending on how much chicken you like. Also, the pat of butter may have been more like 2 pats. The more the merrier!

Another tip I've found works like a charm, when making any sauce, pasta water makes it better. It sounds nasty, and I was fearful to try it, but it totally works. When I drained my pasta, I didn't let it drain completely. I poured the pasta into a colander. Before all the water could drain out I put the macaroni, still in the colander, over my pan and let it sit while the chicken mixture heated through. This gave the pasta time to drain just a small amount of the water that was left. It really isn't much water at all, but it helps the sauce come together. Just pour the water (probably not even 1/4 cup) into your chicken mixture and stir it up! And don't forget to add the macaroni. =)

It was super easy and really yummy. I'm sure I'll be making it again!



Happy Friday ya'll! Go have fun this weekend. You deserve it.

-Jenn (with 2 N's)

2 comments:

  1. Uum... I better be seeing some of this the next time you come to the big city. Perhaps when you fetch your coat that has taken up residence on my couch? Seriously.

    And for a name: Chicken Bow Wow as in BowChickaBowWow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canned Chicken??? I've never heard of such a thing!!! (smirk...) ;)

    ReplyDelete