5.06.2013

The Local Munch: The Green's on Boulder

I'm excited to introduce a new series to you guys today. Since switching jobs a few weeks ago, I now work Downtown. I love our Downtown area, which has recently seen a great amount of revitalization. There are tons of local shops and restaurants within walking distance of my office, and I've been having a wonderful time exploring them.

Another plus to my new location is the fact that my father works about four blocks away. Deduction: fun lunch at a local spot with Dad, and he pays. It's a win, win!


So, I present to you, The Local Munch, a series where I'll be reviewing some of the local spots I discover. There are so many small places around my fair city, and I'm excited to find different spots to try. Come along!


Last week Dad told me he wanted to go to "the deli." There are lots of deli's Downtown, but he was speaking of The Green's on Boulder.

The outside was nothing fancy, so I'll admit I was a tad skeptical as we walked in. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the happiest little deli!


The decor was incredibly colorful and fun, with one wall painted completely pink and accented with pictures of the owners' grandchildren.


I couldn't help but smile as I stepped up to order, from the hand-written, chalkboard menu. Everything was very reasonably priced, and for a small place they had lots of variety. Sandwiches, soups, salads, hot items, cold items...you name it. Plus, they had a list of daily specials. One option was already marked off (meatloaf & scalloped potatoes), so it must have been good!


Dad and I both ordered The Boulder Basket: your choice of half a sandwich, two sides and a pickle for $5.95. I chose the egg salad on wheat. Dad picked chicken salad, and we both decided to try the hamburger vegetable stew, which was a daily special.

The owners are very flexible, and let us each pick a dessert as our second side. Dad picked a huge brownie, and I chose the chocolate chess pie.

Everything was superbly delicious. I love egg salad, and am rather picky about how I like it. This was perfectly chopped and seasoned. Dad said his chicken salad was also very delicious. The hamburger stew was very hearty and perfect for a windy day.

As good as the lunch was, the clear winner was the chess pie. I'd heard of it before, but had never had an opportunity to try it. It was so deliciously rich and thick, it was hard for my fork to cut through the chocolatiness. I took one bite and promptly told Dad he really didn't want to try it. I wanted it all to myself!


It was such a fun, enjoyable lunch. We will definitely be going back to try more of the daily specials. From the adorable couple who owns The Green's, to the vibrant decorations, to the delicious, homemade food, this was definitely a hit.


Food: ★ ★ ★ ★ 
Atmosphere: ★ ★ ★ ★ 
Service: ★ ★ ★ ★ 
Price: ★ ★ ★ ★ 
Overall Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ 

-Jenn (With 2 N's)

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,

    All of the food there is amazing. I work a block down the street and we eat there constantly. The owners are friendly and helpful. If you like peaches you should try the peach crisp next time. To die for!

    ReplyDelete